For the past few weeks I've gotten back into the habit of going out on long runs on Saturday afternoons. Last week I ran 10 miles while today...with wonderful weather conditions of almost clear skies, near-calm, around 75 degrees and 40% humidity...I covered 13.3 miles using my convoluted designed course going up and down the streets of my neighborhood and the adjacent one, along with the more sloped stretch of asphalt pathway on NW 53rd Avenue between 34th and 43 Streets. I have long used walking breaks within my training runs...they help to conserve energy and alleviate problems associated with repetitive motion: the slower times reflect this as the time for today's run was 2:51:25...then again, I have a tendency to be a bit competitive around other runners and in a race setting I probably would have pushed myself harder. During the whole run I listen to a shuffle on my MP3 player of some of my favorite musical acts, including R.E.M., Regina Specktor, Beck, Metric, Gorillaz, Spoon, Sufjan Stevens, Kasabian and Radiohead, to mention a few. With the stay-at-home emphasis going on in these times, I encountered on my journey many people out in their yards, jogging, walking with family or by themselves, walking dogs, riding bicycles and a couple of skateboarders...I crossed streets to ensure distancing although that 3-mile stretch up and down 53rd Avenue presented a challenge with its narrow path. Everyone seemed friendly and we would wave or say "hi" as we passed each other...
I was a little miffed that due to this pandemic the half-marathon race (13.1 miles) I had intended to run in Ormond Beach on March 21st (along with enjoying a beach weekend with Melissa) understandably was canceled, so today's "half-marathon-plus" run was a happily defiant way for me to thumb my nose up at the disease...we'll see about getting to the beach later on when it all settles down...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment