Thursday, April 23, 2020

Annual Medical Checkup Okay, Some COVID-19 Talk

Yesterday I had my annual April medical checkup at my local hospital, to undergo tests on the progress of an ongoing serious medical condition first diagnosed when I was 55 but which has actually preexisted from birth: everything checked out fine...they'll see me again next year, no treatment necessary.  Toward the end of March I was sure that they would contact me for rescheduling in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, but they kept the appointments and everything went according to plan...other than the temperature check upon entry into the building and everybody wearing masks with lines taped on the floor that people had to stand behind for distancing.   At last report there were in my home Alachua County in northern Florida some 227 reported coronavirus cases, one death and some thirty-odd hospitalizations...the extensive medical network here may find itself, however, dealing with cases from other counties that don't possess the means to accommodate the patient load should that need arise.  But that hasn't happened yet, and just going by the rate of increase of confirmed cases, the infection curve around here seems to be flattening...this area had shutdowns and restrictions in place early on, several days before the state government imposed its own statewide.  I am not yet all that eager to resume "normal" life the way that some of my fellow Americans are itching to do...in all fairness I recognize that many have lost their source of income and are in a desperate economic fix, none of it of their own doing.  I don't think the protests we're seeing across the country are helping, though...especially since they started after talk from officials had already begun about gradually reopening the economy.  So I'll still keep on wearing this awfully annoying-but-necessary face mask when out in public around others, practice social distancing and hygiene, and be thankful that at least up to this point my family and I have been spared this horrendous illness...

No comments:

Post a Comment