Friday, March 6, 2020

Quote of the Week...from Joe Scarborough

Biden won without any money.  He won with hardly any political organization.  He won on momentum, reputation and name recognition.              ---Joe Scarborough

The above quote by MSNBC's Joe Scarborough appeared yesterday morning on his Twitter feed...I follow him on that site because he seems unwedded to ideology and calls things as he sees it...sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I don't, but I always respect him for his independent approach.  In the immediate aftermath of Super Tuesday in which Joe Biden, whose presidential campaign was given up for dead just a week ago, won ten of the fourteen states holding their primary elections...including shocking upsets in Texas, Maine, Massachusetts and Minnesota.  He is now the clear leader in the Democratic Party's race for the nomination over Bernie Sanders.  I agree with Scarborough's above quote but think it's incomplete: voters chose Biden also out of fear...fear that having Sanders as their party's nominee in November would spell disaster, not only with Trump winning reelection by successfully casting his opponent as an extremist but also with the House of Representatives going back to the Republicans as moderate Democrats would be vulnerable in their districts with Sanders heading the ticket.  I think the voters last Tuesday had a choice between Joe Biden and Michael Bloomberg as the more moderate alternative to far-left Bernie, and the verdict was clearly on the former vice-president's side in spite of the billionaire former New York mayor's unprecedented blanketing of television and social media with his ads.  Now that Bloomberg and Elizabeth Warren have left the race, only Biden and Sanders remain as the major candidates on the Democratic side.  "My" Florida primary will be March 17th, and a poll just came out giving Biden a 61-14 percent lead here over Sanders with Warren at 5.  In all probability Joe Biden should make it to the nomination, but what happens on the national political landscape during the eight months between now and the final presidential and congressional elections is beyond my control...I'll vote every chance I get, but realize that the presidential election will in the end probably once again...this seems to be a recurring pattern...be decided by a relatively few dunderheads who allow themselves to be manipulated by last-minute propaganda and who tip the scales for one side over the other.  Sorry, but that's just how I see it...

No comments:

Post a Comment