Saturday, March 7, 2020
Florida Primary in Gainesville Has City Commission Elections
So the Florida Presidential Primary is going to be held Tuesday, March 17th...early voting began yesterday and will last through Saturday the 14th. Although four names are on the Republican ballot for president, aside from Bill Weld I imagine that President Trump will receive all the votes. On the Democratic side the ballot looks like a graveyard of failed campaigns with sixteen names on it...for all practical purposes now it's between Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders, and Biden has a huge lead in the public opinion polling in our state. For Gainesville voters, even though you may think, regardless of your party affiliation, that the presidential primary is pretty much already decided, your participation in this election is significant because you can vote in one or two of the city commission races on the same ballot. They're officially non-partisan, so the same names are on both Republican, Democratic, and "no party affiliation" ballots. An at-large seat is being vacated in May by Helen Warren due to term limits...four candidates are vying in this city-wide vote for her spot: Sherwin Henry, Gabe H. Kaimowitz, Paul Rhodenizer, and Reina Saco. Of these Rhodenizer seems to be the conservative candidate and Saco is the establishment liberal who will probably win it. In District 2, where I reside, Harvey Ward is running for reelection against a more conservative challenger, David Walle. And in District 3, incumbent David Arreola faces Jennifer Reid. I believe that if the at-large election winner doesn't receiver a majority of votes, then there will be a runoff election in a few weeks...the elected commissioners will begin their terms in May. I will vote for the two aforementioned conservative candidates although I'm a Democrat...the commission needs a better diversity of informed input and right now is composed of seven hardline liberals obsessed with social engineering as opposed to being public servants: well, that's just my opinion for what it's worth. I'm also skeptical of my district's commissioner, Ward, with his efforts at local gun regulation...for any such laws to truly benefit society and law-abiding citizens they need to be enacted on a much broader level as otherwise anyone could just drive outside the city limits and bypass the local law...I don't think the gun laws within Chicago and Washington, D.C. are making their residents safer by any stretch of the imagination. There are other issues I'm at odds with Ward on...I think Walle has the best chance of getting in there, but realistically I think at the end of the day we're still going to have a unanimously liberal, uniform commission who think it's their job to dictate to their constituency what to think...unfortunately, this seems to be what most of my hometown's fellow voting citizens like. As for the presidential primary, I was going to vote for Amy Klobuchar but now plan to fill in the bubble next to Joe Biden's name...now that he's in the driver's seat I hope he doesn't muck it all up...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment