Friday, September 20, 2019

Quote of the Week...from Emil Zatopek

You can't climb up to the second floor without a ladder. When you set your aim too high and don't fulfill it, then your enthusiasm turns to bitterness. Try for a goal that's reasonable, and then gradually raise it.                                                                    ---Emil Zatopek

You've probably never heard of Emil Zatopek...unless you're from Czechoslovakia or are steeped in the history of early-to-mid-twentieth century distance running.  At the 1952 Olympics representing his country he won three gold medals...including the marathon, which he had never before run.  His personal training regime was brutal and he exemplified what ultramarathon star and guru Dean Karnazes called "running with your heart"...I've always admired Zatopek.  His above quote is something I believe in as well...it's fine to have "ultimate" goals in life as long as you realize that as you develop your skills and "climb the ladder", it may take you to a different and better place.  When I think my life at any given time is stagnating in an area, I often ask myself what can I do to take it to a higher level.  And accomplishing that almost always involves making small, specific adjustments of my habits and routines instead of drastically overhauling my life's direction...in that sense I'm what you might call an incrementalist. Still, I think it's fun to daydream every now and then and picture myself in one of those "aim too high" areas...I guess that's a little of the "Walter Mitty" in me...

No comments:

Post a Comment