Sunday, September 29, 2019
Lost: One Atlantic Tropical Storm
It's become a common practice in the morning for me to flick on the Weather Channel and hear what they have to say about the tropical weather, focusing on any real or potential tropical disturbances that might have an impact on Florida down the line. Last week they were discussing Tropical Storm Karen, which had dumped a lot of rain on the Puerto Rico/US Virgin Islands area before entering the Atlantic east of the Bahamas and traveling northbound. The forecasters then showed computer models that had it slowing down over the weekend and then dramatically shifting westward...directly toward my dear homeland of Florida and with a projected wind strength of 60 mph. Well, I've heard that song before when just a few weeks earlier they had Dorian going through the Bahamas at the same intensity...before it actually strengthened to 185 mph and devastated the area! So I was interested yesterday morning as to what was going on with Karen when I tuned in...NOTHING! They were discussing Hurricane Lorenzo, much further east in the Atlantic and posing no threat to anyone but shipping, but where this "Karen" was supposed to be as a tropical storm and getting ready to turn toward us: nothing but empty space on the map. And I didn't hear the announcers even refer to it having ever existed. So I'm putting out an all-points bulletin: if you happen to be out and about and notice a confused-looking tropical storm hovering over you, let the authorities know your location so they can put it back on the weather map...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment