Monday, July 1, 2019
Obstructive Ornamental Horticulture
I realize that even if I do everything I can while driving to be safe, there will still be a risk of something happening beyond my control. Yet it angers me when I consider the strange phenomenon of ornamental horticulture in parking lots that seem to deliberately obstruct my view of moving traffic when I have to make a decision while at a stop sign whether to go or not. The above two photos I took this afternoon at my local Publix shopping plaza illustrate my point: one moment it's clear and then suddenly here comes this vehicle barreling down past the hedge row...which seemed to be consciously planted in such a fashion as to obstruct my view and is continuing to be trimmed to maintain that concealment of potential traffic. I don't get it...I myself love ornamental horticulture and the cultivating and shaping of plants is something that I appreciate seeing, especially in what would otherwise be barren, desolate asphalt lots. But why can't those contracted out to design and maintain this horticulture show some common sense consideration for drivers, bicyclists, and pedestrians and be careful to make sure that the view is clear at intersections and that vision of oncoming cars isn't blocked? Yet I never hear anyone but myself complain...backing up just two or three feet further from the road before they start with the shrubbery would greatly enhance safety and still beautify the area. I've seen much worse obstruction than in these two pictures, and my workplace employee parking lot is ridiculous in this regard. You'd think that with all the regulations that businesses have to undergo at the local level that there would be ordinances to restrict this sort of thing...especially here in Gainesville where the local government seems to have some sort of phobia about businesses displaying signs. Go figure...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment