One of the perks to a blog such as this is that I can occasionally be a little self-indulgent about my chosen topics, and one I tend to pursue is the listing of my personal favorites in different areas, most particularly in music. As I approach my 4,000th published article on this blog stretching back to April of 2007, I recall that in those early months I had decided to list (and discuss) my 30 all-time favorite popular songs...a theme that I stretched out song-by-song from April through July that year. Now composing one's "all-time" list of anything inevitably involves some temporal conceit biased toward current, ongoing favorites, and that list I made 12 years ago was no exception. Well, I think it's now high time I composed a new list of favorites, this time with an eye not only on my current inclinations but also on how different songs in the past had a big effect on my life...even if my interest in them might have waned of late. And instead of just 30, I'm extending it to 500 songs! Starting from the bottom of the list, I'll discuss 10 songs at a time on a weekly basis, making this a 50-week project. Now you might think that listing a song at, say, #493 would mean that I don't care that much for it. But the opposite is true, since I'm going to have a difficult time deciding which wonderful pieces of music to keep off the list. I'm planning on my first article on this theme coming out on Monday, August 26th. Just keep in mind with the songs I list that I'm judging them subjectively by my own liking and not by any academic criteria of their artistic value...in other words, your own "Top 500" list would doubtless be vastly different from mine. By the way, here's that list...which most likely will be considerably modified...of my all-time favorites from early 2007...if you dig back in my blog archives from that period you can read what I wrote about them...
1 WHEN THE LEVEE BREAKS by Led Zeppelin, 1971
2 BUILDING A MYSTERY by Sarah McLachlan, 1997
3 FLAMING By Pink Floyd, 1967
4 LANDSLIDE by Fleetwood Mac, 1975
5 NOVOCAINE FOR THE SOUL by the Eels, 1996
6 FATHER AND SON by Cat Stevens, 1970
7 DIALOGUE (Part 1 & 2), 1972
8 INVISIBLE SUN by the Police, 1982
9 FOR MY LADY by the Moody Blues, 1972
10 CLOSE TO THE EDGE by Yes, 1973
11 NUMBER NINE DREAM by John Lennon, 1974
12 DESTINATION UNKNOWN by Missing Persons, 1982
13 IMITATION OF LIFE by R.E.M., 2001
14 MESSAGE OF LOVE by the Pretenders, 1981
15 BOTH SIDES NOW by Judy Collins, 1967
16 NO MILK TODAY by Herman's Hermits, 1967
17 AMERICA by Simon & Garfunkel, 1968
18 CLOSE TO ME by the Cure, 1985
19 12:51 by the Strokes, 2003
20 THE GOOD'S GONE by the Who, 1966
21 NOT ENOUGH TIME by INXS, 1992
22 THE WASP (TEXAS RADIO & THE BIG BEAT) by the Doors, 1971
23 PRESSURE by Billy Joel, 1982
24 I WON'T BACK DOWN by Tom Petty, 1989
25 THE LITTLE BLACK EGG by the Nightcrawlers, 1967
26 OCEANS by Pearl Jam, 1992
27 FOR NO ONE by the Beatles, 1966
28 LIVING FOR THE CITY (long version) by Stevie Wonder, 1973
29 FALL OF THE PEACEMAKERS by Molly Hatchet, 1982
30 YOU by George Harrison, 1976
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment