Talk show hosts are like washing machines...in a way. Sometimes they're in full spin cycle, showing their highly partisan and ideological colors as they go off on their rantings to their faithful audience of true believers. But sometimes they're in a different cycle, one in which they may go off-topic or even be a little personal...it's these times that I like the most whenever I happen to tune in to one of them. Usually, though, they're putting a spin on different subject matters...but even with this they can sometimes bring up interesting points and not cause me to switch the station. Case in point: the other day while driving to work I checked in to see what ol' Rush Limbaugh was up to and whether he was doing a "heavy spin". No, but he was giving his audience of loyal Trump supporters some advice: you may think that the Democrats are self-destructing with this rift between the "Squad" of four progressive congresswomen and party leadership, along with the various candidates for president going after each other during the debates. But Limbaugh maintained that the Democrats are all united by their hatred for Donald Trump and that, come the fall of 2020 as the election approaches, the President will have his hands full trying to win reelection. And I get what he was saying...just that I disagree a bit with it...
If you just go by the registered voters for Republicans vs. Democrats in each state, then the Democrats should win the Electoral College for president each and every election with no problem. Also, there are many independent voters not affiliated with either party, many of them this way because they feel that neither major party represents them and their interests. It is the disaffected Democrats and independents who turned the 2016 election against Clinton and in favor of Trump, and it is the same groups that can return him to office in 2020 should the Democrats nominate someone whose ideology and attitude betrays their interests or insults them. So whatever the Democratic Party leadership and their candidates say or do in 2020 to heal the rifts among them after the convention and a nominee is selected, this in itself does not mean that the voters at large will buy into this so-called unity...and even I, having voted Democrat in the past four elections, will not automatically fall in behind leadership if they nominate someone who ignores my interests in favor of political correctness and pie-in-the-sky policies. And right now I'm looking at a number of such candidates among the crowded field that I would have a great difficulty voting for...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment