Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Some Football, Basketball, Soccer, and Hockey Comments

The Association of American Football, a first-year pro league playing its season immediately following the Super Bowl and designed for football fans not quite ready to call an end to the sport until late summer, has cancelled the remainder of its schedule, reportedly with no more money to continue and dashed hopes of achieving its desired "minor league" recognition and support from the National Football League and players' union.  The little action I saw...largely because nearly all of the games were broadcast on obscure TV channels I didn't pick up...demonstrated a competitive level of play and the promise of interesting developing rivalries.  Well, that's too bad...I guess our Old Ball Coach Steve Spurrier, coach of the winning Orlando team, will be returning to his glory town of Gainesville to support the Gators...

The National Basketball Association regular season will soon end and lo and behold, the Orlando Magic have actually made the playoffs!  Hovering around a .500 record and destined to play either Milwaukee, Toronto, or Philadelphia in the first round, the cheering may be short-lived. Still, I'm proud of this franchise for finally lifting themselves up into contention after so many mediocre seasons...

Last night the Virginia Cavaliers won an exciting overtime game to become the 2018-19 NCAA Mens' Division I basketball champions over an overachieving, surging Texas Tech squad.  During the tournament the Red Raiders demonstrated one of the greatest, most tenacious defenses I've ever seen in college basketball...we haven't heard the last from them, I'm sure...

My interest in watching soccer matches and following the various international pro leagues has waned a bit this year...I'm still following the Mexican Liga MX, though, and it looks as if "my" UANL Tigres may be challenging for yet another championship in a few weeks...

And the National Hockey League is finally closing out its extremely tedious regular season, about to commence with what really counts (and what is really interesting): the playoffs.  The Tampa Bay Lightning have the league's best record, but can they translate their regular season success into a string of best-of-seven series wins?  We're about to find out...

Well, that's it for a while with sports. Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment