Sunday, April 28, 2019
Alachua County Friends of the Library Sale Going On Through Wednesday
This afternoon Melissa and I paid a visit to the Alachua County Friends of the Library book sale, held every April and October at a warehouse on the 400 block of North Main Street. It's fun to go in there and browse around...you never know what you'll find. Melissa found several books of interest and I bought three for myself: A Separate Peace by John Knowles and two novels of Joseph Conrad: Victory and The Secret Agent...all three for a total of 75 cents! I also picked up an interesting looking 300-piece jigsaw puzzle for a couple of bucks...this is the place to go for puzzle enthusiasts: there is a large assortment to choose from and you can't beat the prices. This sale is a big event in Gainesville, lasting from Saturday through Wednesday...the large room houses all genres of used books and includes sections like the aforementioned jigsaw puzzles, audiobooks, DVDs, music CDs, vinyl records, old magazines, and a "collectibles" book section where the prices are a little steeper. During the opening Saturday and Sunday of the sale this place is usually packed with people, so if you're a bit phobic about crowds you might want to avoid it...or if you're like me and simply dislike being in midst of jostling, coughing, and sniffling multitudes, you ought to limit your visit time. Within each genre section books are displayed in no particular order...to cover it all you have to read each title, which can get tedious in a hurry...especially when people are crowding all around you, some blocking your access. Since I already have plenty of reading material at my disposal, I just browsed around and kept my eyes open for anything of special interest...we'll see how good these books are that I purchased...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment