Sunday, March 31, 2019

My March 2019 Running Report

In March my total running mileage increased considerably, reaching 137 miles.  My longest single run was 8 miles...performed very slowly...and I managed to run on every day during the month, something most running "experts" don't recommend as they usually stress rest days for recovery.  Still, I haven't noticed any detrimental effects and I'm careful not to go beyond my capabilities. My only problem as been a tendency to gag during runs...this seems due to acid-reflux, and the effect is reduced when I take an antacid beforehand and am careful to pre-hydrate with water or a low-sugar sports drink.  As far as my energy level is concerned, I have yet to even remotely approach that "wall" where the fatigue level necessitates my slowing down or even walking the rest of the way.  I'd like to get my distance up to a higher daily level and go back to the good old courses I designed back in 2010 when I was training for marathon and half-marathon races...I've grown quite nostalgic of them whenever I drive past a section of road on which I trained earlier...

In April Gainesville, as usual each Saturday morning, offers a free 5K race at Deport Park starting at 7:30...you just need to preregister online to receive the barcode they use to identify you and record your times.  I missed this Depot Parkrun in March, instead running the Miles for Meridian 5K held on the 16th to coincide with the St. Patrick's Day weekend celebration they usually stage in the town of Tioga, a few miles west of Gainesville.  On Saturday, April 27th there will be the Run the Good Race 5K/10K event at the North Florida Regional Hospital area, with proceeds earmarked to fight human trafficking...I'm planning on running the 10K distance if my health continues to hold up.  In any event, the main emphasis, regardless of which races I decide to run in (or not), will be my day-to-day training...

No comments:

Post a Comment