Monday, March 18, 2019

More on Starbucks, Schultz, and the Gators

Well, let's see...about yesterday's views on Starbucks, Howard Schultz, and the Florida Gators basketball team, a day has passed and here are some slightly revised opinions...

Regarding Starbucks, they provide a service and product and, like every other company on Earth, have imperfect human beings working there.  I get a little taken aback at how pretentious they can be, putting out the high-brow, gentrified image for themselves, but their overpriced drinks are passable and they do provide a decent public setting for customers to sit, either by themselves or with others.  I often go there to write, and after yesterday's little hassle about a newspaper...which I mistakenly allowed to anger me...I still plan to stop by from time to time.  On the down side, this corporation tends to strangle out of business local coffee shops that might have been better places for me and others to frequent.  Maybe I should start going to some of the few that remain...

I still agree with virtually everything I wrote yesterday about former Starbucks CEO Howard
Schultz, who is considering...or more accurately, threatening...to run for president as an independent.  This action would be a windfall for Donald Trump, who won the presidency in 2016 by a few thousand votes in a tiny number of crucial swing states...Schultz could easily pick up enough votes there tip the scales again in his favor in 2020.  Meanwhile the Democratic Party seems determined to portray itself as being completely out of the mainstream of what most Americans want from their elected leaders as their presidential candidates collectively lurch strongly to the left.  We Americans need viable candidates in this coming election...within the two major, dominating parties and not as independent spoilers...who represent something more reasonable than what the far left and far right currently offer...

And the Florida Gators made the NCCA basketball tournament!  They'll play in the West Regional, seeded #10 and playing Nevada this Thursday evening.  If they win two tournament games they will have once again succeeded in reaching the "Sweet Sixteen", but to do that they'll not only have to get by Nevada, but also past Michigan, assuming the Wolverines win their first-round contest as expected...

No comments:

Post a Comment