Tuesday, February 5, 2019
State of the Union Address Tonight at Nine
Tonight at nine President Trump will deliver his one-week-delayed annual State of the Union address to a joint session of Congress, with the U.S. Supreme Court justices also expected to attend. It will take place in the House of Representatives chamber in the U.S. Capitol building...Vice-President Pence will be visible behind the president to his left and House Speaker Pelosi to the right. I thought last year's speech was one of the high moments of Trump's presidency so far, as he accentuated unity, national security, and economic prosperity in it. Unfortunately, the gracious tone with which he spoke quickly withered away afterwards and the next morning he was back to his same old Twitter antics...this morning on the Senate floor Democratic Minority Leader Chuck Schumer alluded to this and remarked that whatever kind unifying and reconciling message Trump purveys this evening will be meaningless without him consistently following up on it afterwards. Although I was impressed with last year's address, I was dismayed a few days later when, at one of his strange campaign rallies with the usual lot of grinning and nodding adoring sycophants appearing behind him, he suggested that the Democrats in the House chamber who hadn't risen up and applauded his speech were guilty of treason...yeah, that, I sadly suppose, is the real Donald Trump, regardless what he says tonight from his prewritten script. Still, I plan to listen, once again on the radio at work...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment