Interested in how people reacted to yesterday evening's Super Bowl between the Los Angeles Rams and the New England Patriots to determine the 2018 National Football League season champion, I watched a little TV today and surfed a little Web ...the prevailing view seems to be that the game wasn't all that great but the halftime show was pretty good...even spectacular to some. I beg to differ...
I don't know where it came to be that low-scoring games...in whatever sport one's discussing...are somehow of a lower quality that those where the scores shoot through the roof. I found the tenacious defense in yesterday's Super Bowl, as practiced by both teams, to be absolutely extraordinary! In play after play not only was the pass rush strong enough to harass the quarterback, be it Jared Goff or Tom Brady, to throw hurried passes, but the coverage was amazing as defenders repeatedly reached in at the last second to bat down passes or knock them from the receivers' arms. The low score, 13-3 with the Patriots finally prevailing, was indicative of this defensive domination...I'm glad that Brian Flores, the winners' defensive playcaller, will become my Miami Dolphins head coach starting next year. The one thing I didn't understand was how little the Rams used their franchise running back Todd Gurley. When he did run, he usually did quite well...but he spent most of the time on the sidelines while his offense was on the field. Gurley had been recovering from a knee injury but the team kept repeating that he was healthy to go...so what gives? His presence most likely would have been a major game-changer...
As for the halftime show, I have become totally numbed by all the light shows and pyrotechnics in concerts nowadays...so I wasn't at all impressed by the excess I saw in this regard. The headlining act, Maroon 5, sounded all right but I didn't get the semi-strip-tease performance of their lead singer, who seems to regard himself as irresistible to women, at least onstage. I'm not into the rap/hip-hop scene musically, but the performers who shared the stage with Maroon 5 were more entertaining...although I couldn't understand a word they were saying (probably for the best, anyway). Maybe the best feature of the show was the televised overlaying of an old SpongeBob SquarePants episode where Squidward leads the band to the Super Bowl: that was funny. I think my main problem with the show was that it was seemed too frantic and rushed, but maybe that's because (1) they had a lot to fit into a short time and (2) a lot of folks nowadays seem devoid of anything resembling an attention span...
I'm not happy with the Super Bowl's outcome, with New England winning its sixth Super Bowl title. But they deserved it, and it was a very good game, others' assessments to the contrary notwithstanding...
Monday, February 4, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment