Keeping an active mind has been vital to my survival, as has been maintaining a sense of humor.
---Stephen Hawking
Stephen Hawking, the renowned astrophysicist and decades-long survivor of the debilitating and usually quickly fatal disease ALS who finally passed away last year at age 76, has many good quotes...I even discussed the same one in two different blog articles. The above quote is spot on for me, as I try both to keep my mind active and find things in life to laugh at. But to me, being continually engaged in learning new things and finding and relishing the humor in my life has always been an integral part of who I am and isn't just some survival strategy. When I see others who are utterly devoid of humor or are so close-minded that they refuse to try to see things from the viewpoint of someone with a different perspective, I don't react by thinking that they will soon perish, but rather perceive that they are lacking elements in their lives that would otherwise give them fulfillment and contentment. Besides, in a way everyone has an "active" mind, but do they engage in thinking that enhances their skill levels and understanding of the world and other people, or do they absorb themselves in fruitless mental tape-playing reinforcing their own vanity, grudges, delusions and regrets? I submit that you cannot be a compassionate person without the ability to laugh, especially at yourself. I look at some of these "new wave" politicians, some of them running for president, and see neither humor nor compassion in their hearts. I think a lot of people in today's runaway world of political correctness...and PC sees no humor in anything...are experiencing their careers and futures being ruined by past gaffes that they originally intended to be funny, even going back decades in the process. But I digress...
I think I'm going to carefully look at the current and upcoming field of presidential candidates on the Democratic side and pick one to support over the others. Two prerequisites: they have to be thinkers on both sides of the issues, being able to explain the other guy's side as well as their own. And they must have a sense of humor...and a little grace wouldn't hurt, either. As for my own thinking, I don't believe I have a career in astrophysics on my "event horizon", but that doesn't mean I can't study on my own level black holes and other areas of cosmology in which the great Stephen Hawking excelled...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment