After reading Mark Twain's 1889 novel A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, I thought I'd go back and read some of his other famous works...I just finished reading his 1876 The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, a book I had begun reading before but never got around to completing. I vaguely remember watching one of the movie adaptations when I was a kid and knew that the climax has something to do with a cave, but couldn't recall anything else other than the famous con job Tom did on his friends at the beginning to get them to whitewash the fence for him. Orphaned with his little tattletale brother Sid, Aunt Polly has the task of caring for him...and quite a task it is as Tom is virtually uncontrollable, constantly getting himself in all sorts of trouble. Read for yourself all the adventures he has with his friends Joe Harper, Huckleberry Finn, and Becky Thatcher, and get a sense of what life was like in early-to-mid-nineteenth century Missouri, then still a slave state with plenty of racial prejudice. Twain used that "n" word from time to time here in the boys' dialogs...but I believe he was faithfully describing how people spoke back then, not promoting any agenda of his own. Instead I'd like to touch upon an observation I made while reading this story...
I don't know where the expressions "finders keepers" and "possession is nine tenths of the law" come from, but it is clear in Tom Sawyer that the people in his society were respectful of the notion of property, much more than in today's world. An example: Tom's church gives out tickets for Bible verse memorization...collect enough of them and they hand you a brand-new Bible. Now Tom never studied his verses and knows next-to-nothing about the goings-on in the Bible, but he still has his mind set on winning one for his own. So he goes around to all his friends and trades things for their tickets...one day in church he stands up and turns in enough tickets to get a Bible, to the congregation's astonishment. Standing in front of everyone, Tom proudly receives his new Bible and is asked to tell them who Jesus's first disciples were. Hesitating for a moment, he blurts out "David and Goliath!" Tom's fraud in procuring the tickets having been exposed didn't matter...he possessed them and got the Bible, property rights respected. Another incident happens at the story's end that affirms this strongly held respect for people's rights of possession, but you can discover that for yourself if you choose to read the book. The sad, sad twist to all this is that the exaltation of property rights extended even to that of possessing other people...
Well, that's the second book I've read from Mark Twain in the last week or so...think I'm finished? Not a chance! I'm about to embark on what's generally considered his masterpiece: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment