Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Weekly Short Stories: 1942 Science Fiction, Part 3

This week as I continue through the anthology Isaac Asimov Presents The Great SF Stories 4 (1942), I have run across two rather long short stories...novellas might be a more appropriate designation.  They are Nerves by Lester del Rey and Barrier by Anthony Boucher...the titles may sound familiar if you'd read this blog over the last couple of years: I've reviewed them both previously.  One of the problems with a really long "short" story is that the author sometimes doesn't seem to know exactly what to do with it...with Nerves del Rey wrote a full-length novel adaption a few years later.  But I had hoped that he would have pruned out some of the excess narrative and made it shorter...I guess that was hoping for too much, though.  Well, let's see if I can't throw in a couple more thoughts about these stories...

NERVES by Lester del Rey
Nerves lays out...way back in 1942...a foreboding picture of what a nuclear reactor meltdown would look like, both in its danger to the surrounding community and environment and in terms of the horrible effects of radiation and burns on human casualties.  The story focuses on two physicians thrown into this disaster shorthanded, an elderly doctor experienced with established medicine and a young, unexperienced doctor who understands much about atomic physics and the effects of radiation.  How these two interact may be the best part of Nerves, although I still can't get over the author seeing this 3 years before the first atomic bomb was exploded, 13 years before the first nuclear reactor was built, and 37 and 44 years before the Three Mile Island and Chernobyl meltdowns, respectively.  Here's a link to my 2017 review of Nerves: [link]…

BARRIER by Anthony Boucher
A young man with no particular specialized knowledge or skills is hired by the inventor to be the guinea pig in a time machine going from our "present" time (i.e. the early 1940s) some five hundred years into the future.  He quickly discovers to his horror that he is now in a totalitarian, stagnant society, the Stasis, that forbids any kind of scientific or artistic innovation...people can even be arrested for not conforming to dictated rules of grammar.  A time barrier has been built to prevent anyone from the future with notions of how better to run things from infiltrating their time and wrecking the Stasis...our time traveler finds himself both pursued by the "Stappers", that is, the enforcers of the Stasis, and temporally imprisoned, unable to return to our present century.  He befriends some members of the resistance movement and then the time travel paradoxes begin to present themselves.  As a matter of fact, if you're looking for the story to end all stories about the paradoxes involved in traveling through time, then this one is for you.  And here's a link to my 2017 review of Barrier: [link]…

Next week I should be able to conclude my look back at the best in short science fiction from 1942...

No comments:

Post a Comment