Saturday, January 5, 2019

Ran My First Depot Parkrun 5K This Morning


Parkrun is an international organization that holds running events in local parks...Gainesville has its own Parkrun in Depot Park at Main Street and SW 4th Street.  Timed 5K runs are held each and every Saturday morning and there is no entry fee.  To participate and have your run timed and recorded you need to register at their website (here's the link: [parkrun]) and then print out the six barcodes you get, taking one of them with you to the race.  This morning was my first Parkrun as well as my first visit to Depot Park.  There were 41 runners and walkers participating this time around, and the parking was no problem.  The course is a meandering loop around the park and involves running almost four laps, always on a paved surface and with interesting scenery to look at as well as some mild slopes that are a refreshing change from the flatness of my own neighborhood streets.  I liked the run and the park...this merits return trips, although I can't say I enjoy getting up early on Saturday morning for a 7:30 run.  I finished with a leisurely 30:00 time and was apparently the oldest man in it although some women exceeded me in age...here's a link to the results page [results].  This morning when the run began it was 51 degrees with 82% humidity. The events depend on volunteers, so somewhere down the line if I continue with Parkrun I'll probably pitch in as well.  And they are friendly to both runners and walkers...that's good since Melissa likes long walks and I plan to walk with her whenever she comes along...

No comments:

Post a Comment