Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Just Finished Reading Elevation by Stephen King

Last year Stephen King came out with an unusually small book...I would have missed it had I not one day been browsing the shelves of my local Books-a-Million.  I quickly put my name on a waiting list and checked it out from my library.  The book consists of the title novella plus a short story titled Laurie.  As for the story Elevation, it reminded me a little of Thinner, a much earlier novel King wrote under the pseudonym Richard Bachman.  In that tale a man who gets on the bad side of some gypsies is cursed with losing weight, no matter how much he eats.  Elevation's premise is similar: Scott Carey, a resident of that infamous fictional Maine town of Castle Rock, is progressively losing weight as well...but his paunchy, overweight appearance remains the same and he keeps feeling better!  Meanwhile a married lesbian couple is having difficulty overcoming the prejudice of the townsfolk as they generally shun their new Mexican-themed gourmet restaurant.  It is the interaction and emerging relationship between Carey and the women, along with the foreseen logical ending of his weight loss, that dictate the flow of the story. I enjoyed it without having to commit very much time to getting through it, but in the end I wished it were longer (and had a different ending)…

The short story Laurie is about a recently widowed elderly man living way down yonder in Florida.  His concerned sister gets him a little puppy for companionship: at first he objects, especially when confronted with Laurie's "accidents", but then the two bond.  And there is an adventure at the end waiting for them as they go for a walk one day...

Neither Elevation nor Laurie would make my top ten list of Stephen King stories, but for the characters he introduces with such feeling the reading is worth it.  Sometimes the weird things he makes happen to them don't make a lot of sense, but I can definitely see myself and others I know within those characters' personalities.  Check it out...

No comments:

Post a Comment