Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Tuesday's List: Local Questions on November Ballot

This articles concerns people living in Alachua County and the city of Gainesville.  On our voting ballot for November 6 (or right now if you're voting early) contain four questions of a local nature, two concerning Alachua County and two just for those living within its seat, Gainesville.  I looked them over and, while I don't completely understand all that they entail, I think I have enough of an inkling to make semi-informed decisions about them in the voting booth.  Here they are:

ALACHUA COUNTY QUESTIONS

CHILDREN'S TRUST OF ALACHUA COUNTY TO LEVY ONE-HALF MILL AD VALOREM TAXES
This measure is to provide funds to help with childcare and postnatal care.  If you're a working family struggling to juggle the expenses and times for your children's care, this is a very good proposal.  Just because my kids have grown and don't yet have children doesn't mean that I shouldn't feel compassion for others.  I'm voting "yes".

HALF-CENT SALES SURTAX TO IMPROVE SCHOOL FACILITIES
Schools are constantly in need of maintenance and technological upgrading.  Since our state government seems disinterested in adequately funding education, at least in Alachua County we can stand up and do something positive.  Again, I'm voting "yes" although the issue doesn't directly affect me.

CITY OF GAINESVILLE CHARTER AMENDMENTS

GAINESVILLE REGIONAL UTILITIES AUTHORITY
Currently the Gainesville Regional Utilities (GRU) is city-run, meaning that as citizens we have input through our elected city commissioners on how it will be run.  The proposal removes local control and puts it into the state's hands...I'm voting "no".

CITY COMMISSION ELECTIONS AND TERMS OF OFFICE
Our city commission elections have been held in March and April, when they are the only things on the ballot and voter turnout diminishes to around 12%.  This measure puts all city commission elections on the regular November ballot, with primary elections in August.  Also proposed is lengthening the current three-year term of office to four in order that the elections always take place in even-numbered years.  I've long wanted for them to switch to November local elections, so I'm voting "yes".

Now in closing, I need to reiterate something that I've been emphasizing before but which some people don't seem to get.  I'm not endorsing or recommending any candidates or referenda in this election or any other...I'm just stating my own views.  If you happen to disagree with me on my opinions and that fact emotionally upsets you for some reason, I suggest you take a deep breath, count to ten, and move on...

No comments:

Post a Comment