Saturday, September 8, 2018

Quote of the Week...from Mick Jagger

Don't you think it's sometimes wise not to grow up.           ---Mick Jagger

I can't say that I endorse everything that Rolling Stones front man and rock legend Mick Jagger has done and said in his life...but then again I don't endorse everything I've done and said, either.  Like so many other quotes I come across, I don't know the context of this one...for all I know it might even be part of one of his songs' lyrics.  But it rings true to me, especially since it includes the word "sometimes"...

Life can be funny in that it can run in cycles...parents of little children can find themselves ardent fans of kiddy TV shows...I certainly did.  Kids like to play, and if you're around them, then inevitably you get into that same spirit...me, too.  And when Will and Rebecca were old enough to brave the thrill rides at the various theme parks ringing us...inverted roller coasters and all... then I in turn enthusiastically rode them as well, actually getting a bit fanatical about it.   If you're reading this then you once were a child and most likely can remember being one...I don't think that ever leaves us.  If we're successful in our development, then as adults we shed the childishness of our youth that is based on self-centeredness, impetuosity, and amorality.  But we should retain the childlike sense of wonder and optimism that we had in greater abundance during our formative years, along with an attraction to adventure and new things. And having fun playing games is something we should never "grow" out of.  Nothing wrong with being mature and adult, but respecting the child within us is a good thing, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment