Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Tuesday's List: My Top Ten Favorite Alfred Hitchcock Movies

The great English director Alfred Hitchcock (1899-1980) made around 53 movies, going way back into the silent film era and ending in the mid-1970s.  Most of these I haven't seen, but for the ones I have I came away with the impression that he was the best director of his time, responsible for some of my all-time favorite movies.  Hitchcock had a penchant for certain actors...like James Stewart, Ingrid Bergman, Grace Kelly, and Cary Grant...and they kept popping up in his films.  Below is the list of my top ten favorite Hitchcock movies, each followed by its year of release and main actors...

1 NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959)…..Cary Grant, Eva Marie Saint
2 VERTIGO (1958)…..James Stewart, Kim Novak
3 REAR WINDOW (1954).....James Stewart, Grace Kelly
4 PSYCHO (1960).....Anthony Perkins, Janet Leigh
5 SPELLBOUND (1945).....Ingrid Bergman, Gregory Peck
6 THE BIRDS (1963).....Tippi Hedren, Rod Taylor
7 THE WRONG MAN (1956)…..Henry Fonda, Vera Miles
8 THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH (1956).....James Stewart, Doris Day
9 FRENZY (1972)…..Jon Finch, Alex McCowen
10 THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY (1955).....Edmund Gwenn, John Forsythe

Besides the above, there are some noted Alfred Hitchcock movies I haven't yet seen, but plan to.  I'd better get started soon, though, for there are several: Suspicion, Notorious, Rope, Strangers on a Train, Dial M for Murder, To Catch a Thief, and Marnie...

No comments:

Post a Comment