Sunday, June 24, 2018
Looks Like a Long, Hot Summer in North Florida (Again)
It looks like we're in for a long, hot summer here in northern Florida...including the nights as well as the days. Last night on the 11 o'clock local news they said the current temperature in Gainesville was 83...ouch! The morning lows have been dipping lately only to the upper 70s...time for around-the-clock air conditioning! On the other hand, I am a lifelong Floridian who grew up in a non-air conditioned home in south Florida, so I'm well accustomed to enduring sweltering summers. And I've been known in the recent past to go out on long distance runs when the temperatures were climbing into the 90s, so my level of discomfort in the heat is largely psychological. Still, I do always carry with me some Powerade or Gatorade when I'm running and take care not to unduly exert myself whenever hot conditions combine with excessive humidity...a toxic brew with the air moisture conspiring to impede proper perspiration, causing body temperatures to surge to possibly dangerous levels. At work we're often presented with talks about heat stress...although they're intended primarily for employees working outdoors, the principles are still applicable to everyone. It's good to get outdoors and experience the wonderful summertime weather...but I admit to enjoying "hunkering down" in a well-cooled room as well afterwards...now where did I put that remote?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment