Monday, April 16, 2018

War of Words Between Trump and Comey

I find a perverse sort of ironic justice in that former Federal Bureau of Investigations director James Comey, who in 2016 was so concerned that Hillary Clinton would be elected president due to an omission on his part, got canned last year as a part of the winner, Donald Trump's, efforts to obstruct investigations into Russian election interference and the Trump campaign's possible role in it.  In my opinion, it was Comey's announcement just ten days before the election that other emails involving Clinton were under investigation, not WikiLeaks or "fake" Facebook news, that destroyed the campaign momentum that she had built into a double-digit lead following her impressive performances in the presidential debates.  I find it more than a little frustrating now that Democrats seem to be backing Comey now that's he's on their "side" and slamming Trump...he recently compared him to a Mafia boss.  The president responded by calling him a weak and untruthful slime ball...too bad they didn't have this exchange ten days before the election!

I was watching one of the TV news and talk channels the other day and a Republican brought up an interesting point.  When James Comey was making a public spectacle of himself in 2016 discussing whether Hillary Clinton would be prosecuted for her alleged email improprieties, he was violating his own organization's policies: the FBI is there to investigate, not prosecute...that is the Justice Department's job.  He should have kept his mouth shut about the ongoing investigations...instead he decided to play God and pulled his infamous October surprise about Hillary's email investigation being reopened, an investigation which ended up going nowhere.  But by the time he announced this it was too late, too close to the election, and her campaign was greatly weakened...

So now James Comey has his tell-all book out and he's definitely against Donald Trump.  I have no argument with him on that, but he also expressed in it regret that Hillary Clinton was angry at him for his publicity stunt on October 28...as if he still believes that he did the right thing by grossly interfering in the election!  Personality-wise, I think both Trump and Comey have severe ego issues and are attention-addicted narcissists, seeing themselves as basically above reproach on anything...but although the president scares me with his tendency toward authoritarianism, I am thoroughly sick and disgusted with the former FBI director's pious and self-righteous attitude.  And no, I'm not going to buy his crappy book...

No comments:

Post a Comment