Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Tuesday's List: My Favorite TV Channels

What I watch on television depends on what happens to be on at any given time, and what my own schedule is.  I'm usually watching during mid-to-late mornings on workdays and after 10:30 at night when I usually get home...if I didn't get overtime or stop off at the gym.  On days off I watch more in the afternoon and early evening, depending on what I'm doing then and whether there is anything good to watch.  None of the channels are always watchable...I have to pick and choose what different ones are showing and going to show by checking the cable service's schedule.  Still, there are some channels I watch more than others, and this list ranks them...along with the reasons why.  By the way, I don't get most of the premium channels like HBO and Epix...and I don't plan to sign up anytime soon...

Each entry is followed by the Cox Communications (Gainesville's cable provider) channel number...and then the brief, brief commentary...

1 C-SPAN 2 (81)......ever since 2001 I have been following live US Senate proceedings here
2 UNIVISION (40).....I like to watch Mexican league soccer and practice my Spanish
3 CNN (37).....still my "go-to" channel to check out the news...but they tend to get sidetracked
4 NEWSY (276).....covers a broader range of news issues than the other cable news channels
5 MUSIC CHOICE CLASSICAL MUSIC MASTERPIECES (949)....full pieces of classical music
6 THE WEATHER CHANNEL (31)....not as dependable as before with their "features" preempting ongoing weather coverage
7 CARTOON NETWORK (43).....only reason I watch it: Family Guy
8 COMEDY CENTRAL (44)....only reason I watch it: South Park (newer, inferior episodes excepted)
9 ESPN/ESPN2 (26, 27).....I like the live sporting events, you can have the talk shows
10 WCJB-ABC (7)....this is my local news source
11 MTV LIVE (1098)....formerly called Palladia, live rock and pop performances
12 C-SPAN (80) .....live US House proceedings, book and commentary programs
13 TURNER CLASSIC MOVIES (46)......uninterrupted classic movies, sometimes a good one is on
14 MUSIC CHOICE ROCK CLASSICS (918)....usually there's something good being played here
15 MUSIC CHOICE THE '70S (929).....listening to this channel brings back a lot of memories
16 NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC (83)....a good source for programming about science and geography
17 METV (117).......great old shows like Honeymooners, Twilight Zone
18 WNBW4 (115).....more old series, including Johnny Carson
19 SY FY (51)....I avoid original series, focus on movies
20 AMERICAN MOVIE CLASSICS (52)....ditto with #19
21 TNT (45)......I enjoy their NBA live broadcasts, occasionally their movies
22 MSNBC (63)......I used to watch it more, but got tired of all the smug head-nodding
23 FOX NEWS (38)....I sometimes watch it to analyze how propaganda is purveyed
24 MUSIC CHOICE ALTERNATIVE ROCK (915).....the best "popular" music of today as I see it
25 NBC SPORTS (33)....English Premier League soccer, hockey, other interesting sports

No comments:

Post a Comment