Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Tuesday's List: My Favorite Songs from the Band Yes

Last Sunday night I was driving home from work with the car radio on the local classic rock station on 92.5.  They were broadcasting the nationally-syndicated program The Acoustic Storm and a familiar song was being played, albeit in unusual acoustic fashion: Yours is No Disgrace by Yes, with vocalist Jon Anderson making his characteristically high-pitched presence known.  It renewed my interest in this talented progressive rock band and I decided to make a list of my all-time favorite Yes songs.  I first learned of Yes late in 1971 when the radio began to play I've Seen All Good People.  Then Roundabout came out early the next year and their popularity took off.  The band subsequently began to record album-side-length pieces that endeared them to their fans but impeded further radio exposure, causing their mass popularity to decline.  After a two-year hiatus in the early 1980s, Yes reformed and reinvented itself...with the aid of MTV and music videos.  Since then and over the course of its existence the personnel in Yes have undergone a lot of changes.  It's still a band, but Anderson is no longer the lead singer.  I haven't heard the albums they have done over the past twenty years...maybe there's some good stuff on them, who knows.  But I do know that their earlier works contain some masterpieces!  By the way, on the list below, entries 1, 5, 8, 9, 12, and 16 are all album-side-length pieces... 

So here's the list of my favorite Yes songs over the years...each song title is followed by its album.  Check out Yes if you haven't yet...

1 CLOSE TO THE EDGE..........Close to the Edge (1972)
2 I'VE SEEN ALL GOOD PEOPLE.....The Yes Album (1971)
3 AND YOU AND I..................Close to the Edge
4 LEAVE IT...............................90125 (1983)
5 THE GATES OF DELIRIUM.....Relayer (1974)
6 ROUNDABOUT.......................Fragile (1971)
7 YOURS IS NO DISGRACE.....The Yes Album
8 THE ANCIENT........................Tales from Topographic Oceans (1973)
9 THE REMEMBERING............Tales from Topographic Oceans
10 SOUTH SIDE OF THE SKY.....Fragile
11 NO OPPORTUNITY NECESSARY, NO EXPERIENCE NEEDED....Time and a Word (1970)
12 THE RITUAL..........................Tales from Topographic Oceans
13 HEART OF THE SUNRISE....Fragile
14 ARRIVING UFO.....................Tormato (1978)
15 WE HAVE HEAVEN..............Fragile
16 THE REVEALING SCIENCE OF GOD....Tales from Topographic Oceans
17 ONWARD................................Tormato
18 CHANGES...............................90125
19 SWEET DREAMS...................Time and a Word
20 SIBERIAN KHATRU..............Close to the Edge
21 WONDROUS STORIES..........Going for the One (1977)
22 WALLS....................................Talk (1994)
23 FUTURE TIMES/REJOICE....Tormato
24 TIME AND A WORD.............Time and a Word
25 IT CAN HAPPEN....................90125
26 LOVE WILL FIND A WAY....Big Generator (1987)
27 LONG DISTANCE RUNAROUND.....Fragile
28 OWNER OF A LONELY HEART........90125
29 THE FISH.................................Fragile
30 EVERY LITTLE THING.........Yes (1969)

No comments:

Post a Comment