I like having a local station like 102.7/WRUF that plays classical music after many years of not having this accessible on Gainesville broadcast radio when their main station on 89.1 kHz switched from classical to a talk/news format. Unfortunately, many of the programs on this classical music station are full of tedious talk, which would be fine were I attending a music appreciation class and wanted all sorts of background and historical information on the composers and performers. But I want to hear classical music, and all this banter keeps the amount of music I'm able to hear during the time I'm listening limited. I just wish they'd name the composer, the music, and performer for each piece beforehand and afterwards...and if they have some other data they'd like to convey to just provide a website through which I could access it...away from the radio. I am also becoming increasingly annoyed at the way the music is becoming chopped up and played in bits and pieces, not at all the way the original composer had ever intended for it to be heard. So some hot-shot announcer with a musical pedigree likes a cello passage from a particular work...why can't I hear the entire work instead of a five-minute extraction? The answer is self-explanatory: these hosts feel...probably rightly so...that they have to justify their presence and, as such, feel compelled to fill much of the programming with their opinions, interpretations, and anecdotes, as well as emphasizing what they deem to be the more significant parts of various works and ignoring the parts they don't care about...well, maybe the parts they pass up on are the very parts that might convey the greatest personal meaning to me...
When I'm driving, I get broadcast radio and listen to 102.7/WRUF. But when I'm not on the road and have the chance to listen to classical music, I used my phone app and listen on TuneIn Radio to either the Rhode Island station WCRI or New York's famous WQXR, both of which seem to play more music...including entire pieces...and don't engage in as much chatter as do the programs on WUFT. The best classic music source is on my Cox Cable TV service, which has Music Choice, featuring on channel 949 complete classical music works...without any interruption. Now THAT's my choice...
Sunday, March 11, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment