There is no respect for others without humility in one's self. ---Henri Frederic Amiel
Henri Frederic Amiel was a Swiss philosopher from the nineteenth century...I confess to never having heard of him until I read this quote of his just a few minutes ago. But it is so pertinent to what is currently going on around us in the news in 2017 that I had to use it, noting the ongoing, catastrophic wave of destroyed careers and reputations afflicting so many famous men today...
What's the point in me listing them all...just pick up the paper or tune in to CNN or your favorite slanted-news channel and get the scoop on the latest casualty from usually multiple allegations of past sexual impropriety on the part of someone who had built his fortune and fame (and good reputation) over years, only to have it all suddenly come crashing down around him. When I look at the different individuals struck with this type of scandal, the ones I feel I know a little about all have one common, unifying trait: they are all very, very proud...even to the point of being haughty...and demonstrate a sense of superiority over others. This lack of personal humility doubtless transfers over to their sexual attitudes and behavior toward others...as if their position entitled them to do what they have been alleged to do. That doesn't conversely mean that becoming famous and/or powerful indicates a lack of humility, though, and there are many who are not plagued by this arrogance and self-exaltation. Unfortunately, I suspect that a lot of the offenders getting themselves called out for their past behavior have insulated themselves with "yes" people instead of having folks around who can speak the unpleasant truth in confidence and friendship to them without fear of reprisal...
There's a good scripture verse that I suggest is a good reproof against excessive pride and a guide to instead practice humility: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Or how about this one, not in the Bible: "Try putting yourself in the other's shoes"...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment