Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Tuesday's List: My Top Thirty Favorite Rolling Stones Songs

The Rolling Stones seem like a permanent fixture in our world, enduring when other bands have come and gone with a sort of uneasy-but-stable, ongoing peace between leaders Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.  I remember back after their Voodoo Lounge tour was announced following that album's release 23 years ago...it was derisively referred to as the "one-foot-in-the-grave tour"...yet the band plays on and I don't hear anybody joking anymore.  I was seven years old when they appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show on the heels of the Beatles' appearance in early 1964...some of their songs from that era remain as favorites of mine.  Although the Stones were never my favorite band, and I haven't heard much of their material from the numerous albums they've made over the years...yet at their best they were tops in their field, and quite often extremely hilarious.  May they keep on pluggin' away...I hear they're planning on a new album...

So here's my list of my thirty favorite Rolling Stones songs, with the titles in blue capitals and the year of release (in America) following them.  Note that nowhere in this list are some of their biggest hits like Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, It's Only Rock n' Roll, and Start Me Up...I never could figure out why these were so popular...

1  IT'S ALL OVER NOW [64] 
2  STREET FIGHTING MAN [68]
3  PRODIGAL SON [68]
4  TIME IS ON MY SIDE [64]

5  JUMPIN' JACK FLASH [68]
6  SHATTERED [78]
7  UNDERCOVER OF THE NIGHT [83]
8  MOTHER'S LITTLE HELPER [66]
9  RUBY TUESDAY [66]
10 NOT FADE AWAY [64]
11 WHEN THE WHIP COMES DOWN [78]
12 SHE'S A RAINBOW [67]
13 WAITING ON A FRIEND [81]
14 YOU GOT ME ROCKING [94]
15 ALMOST HEAR YOU SIGH [89]
16 AS TEARS GO BY [65]
17 GIMME SHELTER [69]
18 BITCH [71]
19 HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR MOTHER, BABY, STANDING IN THE SHADOW [67]
20 PAINT IT BLACK [66]
21 LITTLE RED ROOSTER [64]
22 UNDER MY THUMB [66]
23 COME ON [64]
24 HAPPY [72]
25 SHE'S SO COLD [80]
26 MISS YOU [78]
27 YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT [69]
28 ANGIE [73]
29 EMOTIONAL RESCUE [80]
30 I'M FREE [65]


No comments:

Post a Comment