And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down...Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down.
---Tom Petty
The above lines are from Tom Petty's hit song I Won't Back Down a part of his blockbuster 1989 Full Moon Fever album. Although the song was co-written by him and Electric Light Orchestra front man Jeff Lynne, I have to believe that the sentiments in its lyrics were fully Tom's. As most of us already know by now, he passed away this past Monday at the way-too-early age of 66, on the heels of that infamous Las Vegas terrorist attack the night before...October 2nd was really one majorly sorry-ass day...
I Won't Back Down is my all-time favorite Tom Petty song, both musically and lyrically. It's important to know where I am and just how far I will go in compromising my principles and best interests in order to match up with what I perceive the world expects from me...somewhere and sometime I have to draw the line and "stand my ground" in spite of the negative consequences: now seems as good a time as any. On the other hand, it's all too easy to develop a cynical attitude about how I'm treated by this "world" and walk around with a mountain of a chip on my shoulder...better to pick my battles and fight them steadfastly and let the numerous, far less important things go...
I would say that I'll miss Tom Petty, and in a way it's true although I never met him...but he's pretty much immortalized himself in his music and the friendships he made with others, even though he admitted to having difficulty in making new friends (I kind of find that hard to believe). I'll always have that music, and no, I'm not going to live forever any more than Tom did: we all have that crossing to make some day...although extremely advanced, lucid old age gets my vote for the best time...
Friday, October 6, 2017
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment