There may be people who have more talent than you, but there's no excuse for anyone to work harder than you do - and I believe that. ---Derek Jeter
One of the big reasons that I still root for the New York Yankees is that Derek Jeter played out his major league career there...he was my favorite baseball player during his tenure from 1995 through 2014. Now he is part-owner and CEO of the Miami Marlins, determined to make that franchise a winner...good luck with that, Derek! And about those Yankees, "my" team in this years Major League Baseball playoffs...congratulations for defeating favored Cleveland after being behind two games to none...
As for Derek's quote, I agree that he believes what he says and has played his baseball career with fervor and integrity. Hard work often more than makes up for a lack of talent...at least until you get to the elite level in an endeavor: sorry, but concert pianists, singers, and professional athletes need that giftedness as well...Derek Jeter was also a gifted player. Still, his quote has broad applications to our everyday lives. I know people around me who are serious about working hard, and I greatly respect them for that. There are some reactions, though, that I'd like to bring up about this topic...
Part of "working hard", in my opinion, is prayerful reflection on my priorities and exactly where I should be directing my efforts. In the workplace this is a no-brainer: I should always work hard at my job...end of that discussion. But it's also important to make a personal assessment of my own interests and goals...and not let myself get distracted with expending too much time and attention on extraneous or trivial matters. Also, working hard does not always match up with results: if I always evaluate my progress in an area by the instant feedback I receive, I'm bound to be disappointed and discouraged...instead just work hard and let the results take care of themselves. And whenever I do get a reputation as a hard-worker, in a funny sort of way that seems to open me up for criticism by others, some of whom are jealous, others who don't want to be shown up for their own lack of motivation...and still others who want to assure me that my efforts are misplaced and I should be working in a "higher" venue elsewhere doing something different. And then there's the fact that past accomplishments breed future expectations: if you don't want people paying too much critical attention to you or expecting more good things from you, then don't work hard at anything! But what kind of life is that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment