Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Tuesday's List: My Top 25 Stephen King Novels

Over the years my favorite author has been Stephen King and I've read the great majority of his works.  King's fiction can be divided into novels and short fiction.  His short fiction consists of novella collections (Different Seasons, Four Past Midnight, Hearts in Atlantis, Full Dark No Stars) and short story collections (Night Shift, Skeleton Crew, Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Everything's Eventual, Just After Sunset, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams).  I plan to list my favorite stories of his short fiction sometime in the future, but today I'm just looking at Stephen King's novels.  Some of them I never read because I saw the movies first (Firestarter, Misery, The Green Mile).  And I have to admit that my memory of a lot of them is a bit blurry due to my having read them many years ago.  Because of this I plan to reread the ones I remember as having liked a lot. But in the meantime here's a list of my top 25 Stephen King novels.  And the top three are absolutely fantastic: I strongly recommend 11/22/63 if you're into the time travel/alternative history themes commonly found in science fiction...

Oh, one other thing: many of the listed novels have been adapted to film.  Unfortunately, the movie versions sometimes stray drastically from the original stories, so my listing of a particular novel in no way implies that the movie is worth seeing...I'm thinking of The Shining as a "shining" case in point...

1 11/22/63
2 LISEY'S STORY
3 IT
4 INSOMNIA
5 THINNER
6 THE SHINING
7 PET SEMATARY
8 DARK TOWER 4: WIZARD AND GLASS
9 BAG OF BONES
10 DARK TOWER 1: THE GUNSLINGER
11 NEEDFUL THINGS
12 'SALEM'S LOT
13 THE STAND
14 THE LONG WALK
15 DARK TOWER 2: THE DRAWING OF THE THREE
16 DARK TOWER 3: THE WASTE LANDS
17 THE REGULATORS
18 JOYLAND
19 THE DEAD ZONE
20 THE TALISMAN (in collaboration with Peter Straub)
21 THE TOMMYKNOCKERS
22 DARK TOWER 7: THE DARK TOWER
23 DUMA KEY
24 DARK TOWER 5: THE WOLVES OF THE CALLA
25 CHRISTINE

No comments:

Post a Comment