Thursday, August 3, 2017

Just Finished Reading Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk by Kathleen Rooney

Kathleen Rooney's 2017 novel Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk is a fictionalized loose biography of Margaret Fishback, who like the protagonist was a famous poet in her time of the early-to-mid twentieth century and was, with her job at Macy's Department Store, the highest paid woman advertiser of her time and a stalwart, confirmed New Yorker.   The details that first-person narrator Lillian brings out about her own life, family and friends, and philosophy of life, on the other hand may or may not be based in reality.  I do know this: I really enjoyed reading this story, and on several fronts...

Ever since I visited New York City...in particular Mid-and-Lower Manhattan...seven years ago, I have keenly noticed any references to the city in the books I've read, especially those focusing on it. Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk takes the reader on a walk through Manhattan, going back in time to the 1920s, 30s, 40s...and on up to New Years Eve 1984 as the lead character...85 years old...decides to make an adventurous and reflective trek through town.  I enjoyed the geography refresher, although my 2010 Manhattan experience came after later mayors Giuliani and Bloomberg empowered the police and drove out the porno shops...no complaints from me as a pedestrian tourist about that although it appears that minority residents may have been unfairly targeted by the cops in their zeal.  But the main attraction of this book to me was an examination of this remarkable woman's attitudes and philosophy of life...

Lillian Boxfish shows an intriguing mixture of bold assertiveness and gracious tact in her interactions with others.  Being a groundbreaker in her advertising profession for women, both skills are indispensable as well as the need to balance them...and she develops them to an art.  Her overriding philosophy is that civility in everything is paramount...you can express your feelings or thoughts, but it must be done with grace and empathy toward whomever you are communicating with...hey, I want to be like that!  As she remembers parts of her life while on her long evening walk, Lillian also touches upon a very difficult period when she was around 55 and came down with deep depression marked by anhedonia: the lack of pleasure or of the capacity to experience it.  Her recounts of this time made a deep impact on me...

At first when I was reading Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk, I thought that the author was an elderly woman who was drawing upon her own experiences.  Then when I discovered that Kathleen Rooney is actually very young, I thought she must be a remarkable genius.  Well, I still think that to an extent about Ms. Rooney, but it wasn't until I finished reading the book that I found out that her Lillian Boxfish character was based on a real person...so I have to add my accolade that the author is also a great researcher.  This story is a big winner in any case, and I urge anyone to get a copy and read it...

No comments:

Post a Comment