Saturday, July 15, 2017

Just Finished Reading Janet Evanovich's Four to Score

Continuing in chronological, "numerical" order with Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum bounty hunter mystery series, I just finished reading Four to Score.  Once again in series of this type, the protagonist, her family, associates, and friends have their own ongoing personal narratives that cumulatively depend on the previous installments while the spotlighted mysteries are self-contained within the book...I'll just stick with discussing the latter as I don't won't to give away some story lines developed in the first three volumes...

In Four to Score, Stephanie Plum is given the assignment by her bail bondsman boss (and uncle) Vinny to find Maxine, who has missed her court date for which she is accused of stealing her boyfriend Eddie's car. Maxine, it turns out, has decided to lead Eddie...who is also pursuing her and paying Stephanie money under the table to share information with him...on a vindictive wild goose chase, leaving encrypted notes while trying to humiliate him.  To decipher them, Stephanie enlists the aid of rock musician/drag queen Sally, who has a knack for solving codes...leading into an interesting subplot.  In the meantime, Maxine's mother and friend have each come up with injuries...a scalping and severed (and later reattached) finger, respectively...prompting our hero to suspect something more sinister going on about Maxine than just a stolen (and returned) car...

I love both the story's dialogue and introspection of Stephanie, who narrates it all in the first person, as I have become accustomed to in this enjoyable series.  And eccentric, spunky Grandma Mazur never fails to make me laugh.  Onward to the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment