Friday, June 16, 2017

My Weariness With Social Media

It was a bit unnerving this morning...but sadly not unexpected...to see that our president has once again set off a barrage of angry Tweets, this time about being investigated for obstruction of justice.  It does him no good to do this, especially when his own lawyer almost certainly advised him to be silent about any investigations regarding his campaign or administration.  But Donald Trump cannot help himself as he is obviously addicted to social media.  Most of us aren't hooked on Twitter, but a few are strongly dependent on Facebook, checking on it often during their day and even in inappropriate situations such as while driving or conversing with another.  Although I haven't let it go that far, it is tempting for me to just click on it and see what's going on.  Usually, though, I am disappointed in my Facebook experience after scrolling a little and turn it off...

At the start I was just a nominal member of Facebook for a year or two, hardly ever visiting it or trying to accumulate "friends".  But I decided back in 2013 to put links to my daily blog articles on it in order to increase readership.  I had realized that the explosion in personal blogs that had begun a few years earlier had dissipated with the advent and spread of Facebook...folks were just not visiting my blog as they used to with this new, easy social media site to use.  Now, four years later, although I do appreciate the "likes" and comments from some readers I've reached through Facebook, I have grown weary of it and wish that the good old days of personal blogs had remained a growing presence on the Internet.  The blogs are still there...well, at least some of them...but who's reading them?  For me, I just deactivated my Facebook account but will continue writing and publishing this blog through Google on the open Web.  After all, the main thing is for me to keep on writing...

No comments:

Post a Comment