The Family Church here in Gainesville is currently in a sermon series on the New Testament book of 1 John titled Let There Be Light. Last Sunday's message, The Truth About Love, was delivered by Pastor Philip Griffin and focused on Chapter 4, Verses 7-21. He opened by discussing the Biblical Greek terms for love: phileo=companiable, brotherly love, eros=sexual love....and a newer coinage: agape=the sacrificial, unconditional love that God shows for us and wants us in turn to show others. This agape love is not natural to us but comes from God. Pastor Philip also described love as a choice, not a feeling...the main thing desperately needed in this world. And he pointed out how love changes us, by driving out both fear and hate...
The Family Church holds its services Sunday mornings at 9:30 and 11. You can view the weekly messages...including this one...by accessing their YouTube video channel. I'm not certain whether I'll be continuing this Thursday tradition of mine I began last September of summarizing and commenting on the previous Sunday's message. It has been beneficial in that it forces me to be more attentive to the sermon as it is being delivered and reinforces the main points by reviewing it a few days later. Maybe, though, I could do better by doing the same thing but keeping it more private. We'll see...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment