I admit it: I personally dislike Donald Trump, although he is my president and I want him to be successful in promoting the interests of the United States, performing in an ethical manner while upholding the Constitution, and respecting my own personal livelihood...the last sadly being under attack from the Republican establishment in Congress. I wish he wouldn't behave so childishly with his policy of never conceding anything...no matter how obviously true...that he perceives as negative to himself. And this getting bogged down with his asinine Twitter posts...c'mon, dude, you can do better than this! Yet I hold out some hope that his presidency will grow into something good...and Mr. Trump showed some promise of this with his address to the joint session of Congress last night...
I wasn't able to follow all of his speech, and what I did hear was through radio, not television...so I was spared the president's annoying repertoire of goofy facial expressions as he delved through his material. Nor was I exposed to the vice-president and house speaker sitting behind him, with their own smug expressions...along with the Republican side cheerleading the speaker on and the Democrats going to their own lengths to express their "resistance" to our elected president. Content-wise, Donald Trump was true to the issues that he ran on during the campaign, pointing out what he regarded as failures of the previous administration...as well as some of earlier ones. But he also struck tones of inclusiveness, unity, and optimism when he opened up the address by decrying the recent outbreak of anti-Semitic attacks and how he wanted to lift up those living in the inner cities. He balanced the idea of free trade with that of negotiating with other countries as America's advocate, first and foremost. I have a big problem with a lot of he is promoting, but our new president showed his potential for being an effective communicator with this speech...he should focus on this venue and discard the petty, petulant nonsense of his angry personal vendettas in favor of displaying a better image of himself. Last night was a promising first step, but will Donald Trump go down this road? I rather doubt it, although he would be well-served by resisting his baser impulsive and reactive instincts and instead take his presidency to a higher, more dignified level...