In February this year my running mileage increased substantially from the previous month, greatly helped out by the unintended 14.2-mile run I managed to swing during this past Sunday morning's Five Points of Life Half-Marathon...read that day's article for details. By the way, my official finishing time in that race was better than I had anticipated, at 2:24:39...you can see the complete race results (I ran in the men's age 60-64 category) through the following link: [link]...
So after two years, I finally got around to finishing another half-marathon, although it was fraught with numerous obstacles. But the main thing is that I ran it and completed it...whew, glad that's over! Now I can get back to a reasonable running regimen. But wait, there's that local Run for Haven 10K race coming up in a couple of weeks that I've run the last couple of years in Tioga, a few miles west of Gainesville. Who knows, maybe I'll do better in it this time around: I think this race is starting to become an annual habit for me, in spite of it being held late in the afternoon when temperatures are the hottest...
Anyway, as I was saying, my total running mileage for this past month increased substantially over January's total, reaching 123 miles, with the upsurge credited to that recent half-marathon plus my gradual recovery from the upper-respiratory viral infection I suffered last month...with an annoying, lingering sensitive throat prone to coughing. I somehow unwittingly managed to run on every day of February, and of course my longest run was for that strange 14.2-mile jaunt on race day...
I'm feeling a bit on the optimistic side about my future running prospects, but I need to train intelligently and have some ambitious but realistic goals set in front of me to pursue. The weather, already very warm for this winter season, is only going to heat up in the next few weeks and I need to take that into account when I go out to run distance on a regular basis. Then again, there's always a treadmill waiting 24/7 for me at the gym...and mixing up the routine with walking and bicycling (plus a little swimming) may be the way to go for the future...