Sunday, March 5, 2017

Market and Sell All Short Stories for Kindle as Individual Items

With the advent of the digital revolution, it is clear that the music industry has vastly outpaced that of the printed media.  When the compact disc rose to prominence in the 1980s, there was no comparable technology for books.  Eventually, Kindle and its imitators emerged, but the overwhelming majority of books that have been published are not available in a digitalized format...yet we've had the ability for some time now to purchase just about any individual song for download...even from old "out-of-print" albums...for $1.29.  Try that with out-of-print short stories on Kindle!

Over the years, I amassed quite a collection of old science fiction short stories.  For example, I have the entire 25-volume Isaac Asimov Presents The Great SF Stories, spanning the years from 1939 through 1963 and collected and published in the 1970s and 80s, and edited by Martin H. Greenberg and Isaac Asimov...these books are all out-of-print now.  To me and many others, this was the "golden age" in science fiction short story writing, and these books contain many of my all-time favorite works in this genre.  Yet try to find those favorites on Amazon...even if I can, in all probability they are inseparably attached inside larger, expensive collections.  Why can't I go down a list of an author's works and purchase and download on my Kindle the specific ones I want, in the same way I would order a musical act's individual songs from their listed discographies?  After all, short stories are copyrighted one-by-one, not as inextricable parts of a whole...so I don't see how the question of royalties would be a problem.  Amazon itself proclaimed a new policy of selling short stories as individual purchases in 2013, but here we are four years later and there are still precious few to select from.  I don't understand why it is so easy to sell digital music this way, but not digital stories.  After all, the technology is in place to accomplish this and it can only be a win-win situation for companies like Amazon, the authors and copyright owners, and of course devoted readers like me...