I wrote the day before yesterday how I have been sidelined from my usual running due to sickness and a nagging cough, including missing out on two races I had wanted to run in. Right now I'm taking a break from the activity until my throat is fully healed...it shouldn't be much longer. So this first month of 2017 hasn't gone too well, and that's a shame: the weather for the past few days would have been ideal for long-distance jogs through my established courses in far northwestern Gainesville, and that 15K race I missed last Saturday morning had perfect weather conditions: very dry and around 40 degrees at its start. Oh well, let's see what the future holds for me...
In January I somehow managed to accumulate a total of 84 miles run, almost all of it done by running short distances multiple times per day...my longest single run was for only 3.3 miles. I missed running on seven days, and on several others just ran a minimal amount...my least productive running month in quite a while...
Gainesville's Five Points of Life Half-Marathon, which I ran in 2010, 2014, and 2015, will be held on February 26, and I would like to run in it. But where I stand right now, the near-future is very uncertain, I haven't been training much due to sickness, and this race is for 13.1 miles...not a very promising picture, to say the least. But I have to live each day as it comes and on its own terms...come the week before the race, I'll assess my readiness and then act accordingly...
I'm also thinking of dividing my physical activity in the future between running, bicycling, and walking. In the long run, this sounds like a wise and enduring path to follow...