Sunday, October 23, 2016

Watching Soccer and Doing Jigsaw Puzzles While Resting

Today has been one of those days I experience from time to time when the old body just doesn't feel all that well...happily, I have the day off and am quite content to hang around the house, resting and watching television.  Right now, I'm toggling back and forth on ESPN and ESPN2 with their broadcasts of the final week in Major League Soccer's 2016 regular season: the playoffs are at stake today, at least in the Western Division.  There are four teams there vying for the final three playoffs spots, with the 2015 defending champion Portland Timbers currently the odd team out...and losing its matching so far in the second half, 4-0 to Vancouver.  The other three are Real Salt Lake, Seattle (these two playing each other with Seattle ahead 2-1 at the half), and Sporting Kansas City...ahead in their game at half with San Jose 1-0.  This will most likely all change by the time you read this...I supported Portland last year and am disappointed they probably won't make the playoffs this time around.  In the Eastern Division, my home state's team of Orlando, in their second year in the league, once again missed the playoffs.  The rest of the playoff lineup is pretty much set, with the only other outstanding issues being which two teams in each division will receive first round byes: right now in the East both New York teams are in a good position with Toronto right behind them, while in the West Dallas and Colorado are in front with Los Angeles challenging for that bye: all will be decided by the end of today's matches.  Personally, I prefer the system in England, Spain, and Germany where the team with the top regular season record automatically wins the league championship with no playoffs.  But here in North America, we're playoff-crazy and have to go through this high drama...whatever the sport...wondering which mediocre teams will eventually qualify...

Yesterday Melissa and I attended the opening day of our local Alachua County Friends of the Library book sale, something I've done regularly for this twice-a-year event while she hasn't been there in a few years.  Melissa picked up several books while I bought three 300-piece jigsaw puzzles and a book full of cryptograms.  H-m-m, today would be a fine time to get out one of those puzzles to work on...