I'm sitting here about an hour before I have to go in to work, which is close by. "Here" is the McDonald's at SW 34th Street and Williston Road at the southern fringe of Gainesville, where I am enjoying their rather generous promotion of iced coffee, any size going for $1.39. You can get it in different flavors: I prefer hazelnut. The coffee goes down faster, but I enjoy it more than the hot version. I can sit just about anywhere I want and, of course, get free Wi-Fi here...so why go to Starbucks when there is more than an even chance that I won't be able to find a place to sit while paying through the nose for less coffee?
McDonald's is more of a blue-collar place to visit as opposed to Starbucks' somewhat snobby, gentrified appeal. But who am I kidding? I'm a blue-collar kind of guy anyway...and besides, I know a good deal when I see it. Also, this seems to one place in town where students haven't taken over, staking out tables for hours with their laptops. This particular McDonald's is interesting because it is situated at the southernmost I-75 exit in Gainesville and is a frequent stop for travelers. When I walk out of here, it's less than five minutes to my workplace. So why do I even bother stopping off at another place before work?