This morning I slept in a little longer than usual...maybe it's just that I was more tired than usual, or maybe I'm just getting a little older and the ol' body just doesn't jump to my commands as before. But I remembered that I had some things to do, including going down to my assigned precinct, which is the Senior Recreation Center on NW 34th Boulevard, to vote in today's statewide primary election. So I dragged myself out of bed and over there. I voted on the issues and races presented me...which wasn't a lot...slid my ballot into the slot, and walked out of the polling room and down the hallway to the exit, once again not having to wait even one second in line to get my ballot. While walking, I noticed many elderly people in different rooms enjoying different activities: there was a yoga class, a woman appeared to be telling a story to a ring of enthralled listeners, some folks were on the Internet in the computer room, a couple was sitting in comfy chairs reading, and a man was playing pool. When I was about to walk out of the building, I looked over at the Senior Recreation Center's welcome counter and spied a calendar of events and a brochure of programs they offered. Snatching them up, I made my way to my car, drove the three minutes back home, and quickly put on some coffee to brew...
This was the last election that I will just be walking through the Senior Recreation Center to vote. No, I'm not turning cynical on democracy and elections: I'll be turning 60 in early October and, when the general election comes around on November 8, I'll be a registered member of this fun group, finally having met the age requirements. The Senior Recreation Center is free to participate in: you just have to be 60. It runs on a nine-to-five, Monday through Friday basis...which means that with my present work schedule, I can only participate in morning and early afternoon activities. They have chess, bridge, tai chi, yoga, and a monthly book club, as well as a slew of activities that hold little interest for me. But you don't have to go there for a meeting or scheduled program: you can just sit there and read...or use their computers...or play pool...or who knows what else. They even have a seniors sports competition, the winners of which get to compete statewide. When I think of this place, I think of my late parents: my father probably wouldn't like being here, but I think my mother would have loved it. Whether I end up using the Senior Recreation Center much or not, I'd glad it's here, providing a welcome environment for our senior community...