Sunday, August 21, 2016

Looking at My August 30 Primary Election Sample Ballot

With early voting already underway here in Florida, I'm looking at my own Alachua County sample ballot for the upcoming primary election scheduled for August 30.  Not all of the races that will be decided in November are on this ballot, since some of the races for my registered party (Democratic) are unopposed.  Therefore, for my Florida State Senate (District 8) and State House of Representatives (District 20), I'll have to wait until the general election on November 8 to cast my ballot.  However, in the adjacent State House District 21 race on the Republican side, the media campaign has turned into a mudslinging festival among the two leading contenders.  And in the Senate race (remember, this is the Florida State Senate) Republican Keith Perry and Democrat Rod Smith have been going at each other hot and heavy a long time already.  Nor will I have a vote on my U.S. House District 3 seat, currently occupied by Republican Ted Yoho, who is apparently running unopposed within his own party...until November.  But I will be able to vote on the Democratic side of the U.S. Senate contest this year for the position now taken by Marco Rubio, who has decided to run for reelection after all...although not without some competition within his own party.  Also on the ballot for me are primary races for county sheriff, supervisor of elections and two county commissioner seats. Additionally, there are votes for one school board seat and a state constitutional amendment proposal that would exempt, for a twenty-year period, enhanced personal property values derived from solar or renewal energy improvements from being considered when assessing property taxes.  I am interested in the county commission seats because the two incumbents rule the commission like they own it, and one of them has been in office already for 16 years...time to turn over the reins to someone else, I say...