Saturday, August 20, 2016

Just Finished Reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Somewhere buried in the deep recesses of my garage is my copy of a collection of short stories by contemporary science fiction writer Orson Scott Card.  It includes a short story, titled Ender's Game.  I never got around to reading it, and now I'm glad: Card later expanded it into a full-length novel, which I've just finished reading...

In Ender's Game, it is in the future as humanity, by this time very adept in space travel, has had to fight off two invasions of a bug-like alien civilization (hence their name "buggers") into our solar system.  And as a third invasion is envisioned, the military and civilian leaders of planet Earth have to come up with a plan to finally win decisively and permanently over the enemy.  They test and train young children in order to make them military commanders in this final conflict.  One of these children is Andrew "Ender" Wiggin, and this book is basically his story.  The narrative goes from the final hours with his family through his ordeals in the space military schools...and beyond.  Along the way, he is heavily subjected to bullying by his peers which his teachers not only allow but actually encourage.  Part of the training is in computer games and part is in elaborate simulations of battle scenarios where the students are divided into different armies and pitted against each other.  The authorities have high expectations of Ender and have to walk a tight-rope between pushing him too hard and not giving him adequate training and preparation for the impending war...

When I read about Ender undergoing bullying, it reminded me a bit of my own childhood.  No, I wasn't a constant target for bullies, but I did have a very slight build and a gentle nature, which gave some others the notion that I was weak and an easy target.  I suppose that happens today as well, but back then adults seemed to be of the philosophy that it was the victim's responsibility to handle bullying, instead of today's general attitude that focuses on the bully as the one with the problem.  Ender's Game was like my youth when grown-ups turned a blind eye to the abuse clearly going on around them...

Ender's Game is a very well-written novel that develops some vivid and hard-to-forget characters.  It has an unexpected climax, and the story's ending not only ties up its loose ends very well, but also leaves room for sequels...which Card has obliged us by writing.  I haven't seen the movie adaptation that came out about five years ago and starred Asa Butterfield...known for his title role in Martin Scorsese's wonderful movie Hugo...as Ender Wiggin, with Harrison Ford and Ben Kingsley in supporting roles.  Guess I'll now have to go check it out...