As I wrote a few days ago, I was assembling a list of my favorite music of David Bowie, who sadly passed away this January. I listened to each and every one of his 27 studio albums, some fantastic, some good...and a very few not-so-good. From these I picked the best of the best...I think he recorded around 300 songs. So, any song on this Top 50 list, even if it is near the bottom, is one that I like an awful lot. I want you, the reader, to have access to the songs on this list, so I also indicated the album each song on it belongs to, following in brackets...just in case you might want to check some of them out for yourself. And the first time an album appears in the list, I indicated its year of release.
Well, here is my all-time list of David Bowie favorites...
1 BLACKSTAR [Blackstar] 2016
2 Changes [Hunky Dory] 1971
3 Space Oddity [Space Oddity] 1969
4 Queen Bitch [Hunky Dory]
5 Days [Reality] 2003
6 Aladdin Sane [Aladdin Sane] 1973
7 Memory of a Free Festival [Space Oddity]
8 The Last Thing You Should Do [Earthling] 1997
9 5:15 the Angels Have Gone [Heathen] 2002
10 Station to Station [Station to Station] 1976
11 Under Pressure (with Queen) [singles release] 1981
12 Tis a Pity She Was a Whore [Blackstar]
13 Looking for Satellites [Earthling]
14 Hang on to Yourself [Ziggy Stardust] 1972
15 Oh! You Pretty Things [Hunky Dory]
16 Ashes to Ashes [Scary Monsters] 1980
17 Suffragette City [Ziggy Stardust]
18 Warszawa [Low] 1977
19 Star [Ziggy Stardust]
20 Golden Years [Station to Station]
21 Life on Mars? [Hunky Dory]
22 Little Wonder [Earthling]
23 Big Brother/Chant of the Ever-Circling Skeletal Family [Diamond Dogs] 1974
24 I Took a Trip on a Gemini Spacecraft [Heathen]
25 A Better Future [Heathen]
26 Starman [Ziggy Stardust]
27 Blue Jean [Tonight] 1984
28 It Ain't Easy [Ziggy Stardust]
29 Fashion [Scary Monsters]
30 Fall Dog Bombs the Moon [Reality]
31 An Occasional Dream [Space Oddity]
32 Heat [The Next Day] 2013
33 I Can't Give Everything Away [Blackstar]
34 Outside [1.Outside] 1995
35 I'd Rather Be High [The Next Day]
36 Heathen (the Rays) [Heathen]
37 The Supermen [The Man Who Sold the World] 1970
38 How Does the Grass Grow [The Next Day]
39 Boys Keep Swinging [Lodger] 1979
40 China Girl [Let's Dance] 1983
41 Gun Running Blues [The Man Who Sold the World]
42 Young Americans [Young Americans] 1975
43 All the Madmen [The Man Who Sold the World]
44 Kooks [Hunky Dory]
45 The Man Who Sold the World [The Man Who Sold the World]
46 Valentine's Day [The Next Day]
47 Let's Dance [Let's Dance]
48 Red Sails [Lodger]
49 Rebel Rebel [Diamond Dogs]
50 Pablo Picasso [Reality]