Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Compiling List of My Favorite David Bowie Songs

After hearing of David Bowie's death back in January and being startled at the high quality of this incredibly talented musical artist's final album Blackstar, I decided to investigate all of his studio albums, numbering 27 in all...from his eponymous debut release back in 1967 to Blackstar this year.  While listening to them, I naturally came across many familiar old songs of his, such as Space Oddity, Changes, Suffragette City, Rebel Rebel, Young Americans, Golden Years, Ashes to Ashes, Let's Dance, Modern Love, China Girl, and Blue Jean.  I also remembered his singles collaboration with Queen titled Under Pressure, one of my favorites.  While I still like many of these old hits of Bowie's, I discovered some fantastic lesser-known tracks as well...and many of them appeared on albums he made in the late 1990s and during this century, long after he had faded from mainstream rock radio popularity...

I've been noting which tracks on each album are to my liking, and have been compiling a list of them, comparing them to each other.  It's hard to assess the relative value of Bowie's songs this way since they vary greatly by style, mood, instrumentation, and even genre.  Still, I feel at this time that I am in a good position to rank my top 50 favorite songs of his...and rank his albums as well.  That doesn't mean that, upon further listenings, I might not just change my opinion with regard to these rankings.  But now is now, and I know what I like now...I'll just let the future take care of itself...

So, in a few days I'll come out with my list of David Bowie favorites...but first, I think I'll take a break now and listen again to a few of them...