Why not bring up the 2020 election campaign now? After all, you and I both know it's going to begin in only five months...the day after the results come in from the 2016 general election. For nearly a year now, I have known which candidate I would vote for president and which candidates give me some severe reservations. My opinions have not changed at all since then...and I don't think they will until I cast my ballot on Election Day. So discussing the candidates in the 2016 election seems pointless to me...do you think I'm going to change your mind about who to vote for? After all, if we're responsible voters, we tend to evaluate the candidates and the parties they belong to by two criteria: how good (or bad) they will be for the country as a whole and how good (or bad) they will be for one's own personal life and family. It was long clear to me that one of the candidates this time around favorably fulfilled both conditions...but other voters have their own lives and perspectives to filter everything through. Who am I to say that I am right and you are wrong if you support someone else? Besides, twice in the past I voted for candidates who won that first term, but then voted against them for reelection...so I'm willing to change my mind about people...
And that brings me to 2020. In all likelihood, leading up to that presidential election we're going to have as the incumbent either Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump...and I can clearly see either one running for reelection. Regardless who I voted for in 2016, if the president in 2020 meets my criteria for being good for the country as well as standing up for my own personal interests, they will get my support in that election...regardless of the political party. I'm making my decision in 2016 as to who will most likely fit that condition for my support...hopefully "she" will do a good job. But if "he" wins and surprises me with a good performance in his first term as president then he'll get my vote in '20...in spite of the many problems I currently have about him...