Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Starbucks Email Promotions Annoy Me

If you've read this blog over the years, you would know that I like to drink coffee...this habit goes back to when I was two years old!  So it shouldn't have been any surprise that, when Starbucks decided sixteen years ago to expand into northwestern Gainesville, where I live, I would consequently become a regular customer there.  Eventually I succumbed to their promotional campaign and got a gold card that I could reload.  After a certain number of purchases on it, I would be informed that I had a free drink coming.  I wasn't going there to get anything free, and I am sure that the Starbucks Corporation still made a hefty profit on my purchases, an occasional  "free" drink notwithstanding...still I appreciated the gesture when one came along.  I gave them my email address, and they would notify me whenever one of those freebees was being offered me.  But a few months ago, Starbucks decided to change its "free" drink policy and base it on a set amount purchased and not on the number of visits.  I said "fine" to that, realizing that they had a right to do that and that I wasn't going there for the bonus beverage, anyway.  But now they are plaguing my email with promotion after promotion.  If you buy certain breakfast items or this drink or that, you'll get extra points on your account.  Well, I'm not going to buy any of their promotions just to get points, and these ads are starting to get pretty annoying.  Often I'll just pay cash anyway for a Starbucks drink without using my card, which sometimes (like now) gets low in funds.  But even just having that account has become a drag if I have to put up with all that email, which to me is just another form of spam.  By the way, since that stated change in policy a while back, I've still spent a reasonable amount of money at Starbucks with my card, and they have yet to notify me about any upcoming free drink...